[T3] my 69 fastback wont start (Mark Reno)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jan 17 22:03:34 PST 2018

On 17 Jan 2018 at 21:00, Phil Hof wrote:

> Check that the head temp sensor is not unplugged or has a wire broken, perhaps
> inside the insulation.  This will make it run dead rich, preventing starting.

The original head temp sensor location for '68-9 (I see your year in
the subject line now) is under the #4 exhaust port. If yours is still
there, the wire lead has to bend sharply to clear the heat exchanger.
It is common for the inner wire to get shorted to ground there.

Grounding will also keep the engine from running.

Starting in '70, the location moved above, near the #4 spark plug.
Many early cars have had different heads installed to make this move
possible. If that's where yours is now, grounding is much less
likely.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org