[T3] be-brake bracket problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 1 08:59:01 PDT 2018

On 1 Jul 2018 at 0:24, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> I took pictures of the brackets on the two type 3 pans I have handy.
>
> 1965: http://blef.org/vw/t3/handbrakebracket_1965.jpg
> 1968: http://blef.org/vw/t3/handbrakebracket_1968.jpg

Thanks for the photos, Soren. I can see 2 different shapes in the pan
drawings in the parts book, but I couldn't see the details. I also couldn't see
the welds. They're more impressive than I was expecting. Could be hard to
cut one out of a Beetle and leave enough to reuse.

On the late bracket, the welds at the rear look resonable, but what are the
dimples at the front? Are they the locations of spot welds, or are they just
locating points? I expected to see some actual welds at the front, otherwise I
don't see how that part would be secure when we pull up on the lever.

I'd be willing to bet that the Beetle used the same parts, but that doesn't
make it a certainty.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org