[T3] Front susoension grease fittings

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 14 05:03:57 PDT 2018

On 13 Jul 2018 at 19:53, Larry Thrasher wrote:

> How many grease fittings (nipples) are there on the 68 squareback? From the Invasion tech session, I recall there were 2 on the bottom beam, but I was thinking there were two on the top linkage too. I this correct, or were there more? Thanks..

There are 4 zerk fittings on each of our front axle beams: one for each
trailing arm. The 2 on the bottom are easy to find, but the 2 on top are harder
to find and often overlooked, leading to the destruction of the upper
bearings.

On your '68, find the 2 large clamp plates that hold the axle beam to the
arms on the pan. There is a zerk peaking thru a hole in the upper face of
each clamp plate. They are somewhat buried in there, so they can be hard to
see or find. Use your finger and a rag to poke around until you find them.
Once you find one, the other will be obvious.

On early Type 3s, at least up thru '64, the upper zerks are farther inboard,
easier to see, and there is no hole in the clamp plates.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org