[T3] I've got another question , same one I asked a while back.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 20 04:10:07 PDT 2018

On 15 Jul 2018 at 14:03, William Jahn wrote:

>  I noticed when I was fixing the cold start valve hose in the parking lot
> that I have the temp sensor in the IAD un plugged . I did this because if
> it was plugged in the engine struggled between 1000 RPM and 2200 RPM if it
> was in park. By struggle I mean the rpm was not a smooth climb it would
> sort of hang and drop between the rpm range above. It also had a miss fire
> at idle , not a back fire but an erratic miss .

This sounds sort of like the loping idle you get if the idle speed is set too
high. Try plugging the temp sensor back in and then turning the idle screw
down to see if this cures it.

> I do know all for runner short hoses are oily, I have new ones yet not
> the intake gaskets . I have read one can replace the paper on the
> intake spacer . I thought of pushing back the old oily short hoses and
> removing the IAD without removing the runners . It's possible yet does
> not look easy .

I see no reason to remove the IAD. Why not leave the IAD and pull the
runners, so you can inspect the intake gaskets. If the gaskets are the correct
brown plastic ones but need paper faces, fix that. If they are the metal Beetle
ones, I have the correct FI ones. When you put everything back together,
loosen everything and make sure the runners line up with the IAD ports
perfectly.

Unless the short hoses have been badly distorted by poor alignment of the
runners to the IAD ports, they are not likely to be a problem. Oily is normal.

BTW, I came across an old email from you that said you wanted a
replacement 505 vac advance can. I have one now. Do you still want one?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org