[T3] muffler - HE leaks

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jul 24 08:36:47 PDT 2018

Exhaust leaks between the ends of the lower heat exchangers and the
muffler are generally caused by rusting on the OD of the HE tube, leaving it
smaller than when new. The reduced OD makes it hard/impossible for the
crush rings to seal to the tube. This problem is made worse by most
aftermarket exhaust systems, which use inch size tubing which has, by
necessity, larger ID than the metric size it replaces.

In extreme cases, the rust can even penetrate the full thickness of the tube,
eventually causing the end of the tube to break off. I have aftermarket repair
ends made to fix this. They have a tapered fitting on one end that is a tight fit
in the ID of the HE tube while the rest of the fitting has an OD which matches
the new OD of the HE. These repair tips are installed by cutting the end of
the HE off and tapping the repacement into place. They go in tight and some
mechanics tell me that's all you need to do. I prefer to weld them, which can
be done in place.

If you have the time and inclination, a better option is to weld up the low
areas on the HE tube and then grind them down to the correct OD. This
makes a really good repair, but it is also quite a bit of work. I've only done
this job once, since it requires the HE to be completely removed from the
engine.

Short of one of those repairs, I recommend alum flashing strips and muffler
cement to fill the gaps. I've found the muffler cement to be much more
durable than I expected. The key is to get some of the alum "shim" past the
sealing area under the crush ring and into the space between the OD of the
HE tube and the ID of the muffler inlet pipe. In other words, on aftermarket
systems, you should get part of your shim pack in past the flare on the
muffler tube. This will prevent vibration between the muffler and HE tube,
which would cause the cement to crumble and leak.

I suspect that exhaust gasses blowing forward from a leak there, and into the
heated fresh air chamber of the HE, is the biggest problem that these leaks
cause. This is often misdiagnosed as due to a leaky rear door seal, but I
think that problem is rare. The fix that Phil mentioned puts a deflector on the
HE tube, to divert the leaking exhaust gasses away from the fresh air
chamber. It's easy and effective.

I find that these problems are much less common with stock mufflers. That's
the reason I went back to stock after many years of dealing with aftermarket
systems. If you're interested (shameless commercial) I have all the stock
system parts available here. I also have good clean, nearly rust free heat
exchangers, both lower and upper. Those parts are all more expensive than
the aftermarket replacement, but they fit better, last longer, and give more
peace of mind.

Finally, I should mention that John J's Sophy had an aftermarket system at
the last invasion that I had not known about. It was a stainless steel adaptor
from his J-tubes to a stock Type 4 muffler. That seemed to fit and work really
well. The only downside I could see is that Type 4 mufflers are even more
rare and expensive than Type 3 mufflers.

John, who sells those?

My apologies for the long post.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org