[T3] muffler - HE leaks

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jul 24 11:37:35 PDT 2018

On 24 Jul 2018 at 13:12, Bobnotch wrote:

> It was a bus muffler, since the exit is out the right end of the
> muffler can (instead of the middle).

I have a local Type 4 customer who has taught me a bit about Type 4
mufflers. It turns out that the fastback and squareback Type 4s got different
mufflers: One exits out the right side of the car and the other exits out the
left. I can never remember which was which. The exit point from the muffler
was originally from the middle of the muffler in both cases, so the mufflers
were different, with that central exit pointing one way or the other, and the
damper pipes were different.

Later versions, and maybe those were for buses as you say, exit out the
right end of the muffler and exit the car on the right as a simple flange and
elbow with no damper.

I've never seen one that exited the left end of the muffler. Does that version
exist? I recall that John's exited on Sophy's left, nicely in the OE Type 3
location, but I don't remember how it exited the muffler.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org