[T3] muffler - HE leaks

John Jaranson john at carartbyjohn.com
Tue Jul 24 18:12:20 PDT 2018

> On Jul 24, 2018, at 11:36 AM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:
>
> Finally, I should mention that John J's Sophy had an aftermarket system at
> the last invasion that I had not known about. It was a stainless steel adaptor
> from his J-tubes to a stock Type 4 muffler. That seemed to fit and work really
> well. The only downside I could see is that Type 4 mufflers are even more
> rare and expensive than Type 3 mufflers.
>
> John, who sells those?

I bought mine at a swap meet, new in the box, for $50 several years again.  The adapters are not stainless, but did fit up well.  I did add 2-bolt flanges since I had already added those to my j-tubes years ago for the single quiet pack header/muffler I had for years.

CIP still sells this conversion kit for $380 new, which include everything you need to make the switch.  Here is a link to the kit….

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-251-061-FALT <http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-251-061-FALT>

I like the conversion since it has an integrated heat shield like the original Type 3 mufflers and the tailpipe exits in the correct location.

Later,
John Jaranson
www.carartbyjohn.com