[T3] muffler - HE leaks

willjahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 22:29:41 PDT 2018

I’m beginning the wonder why I need the use those VW clamps , what I mean is since it’s possible the empi header may not be metric wouldn’t just regular HD muffler clamps work as long as I clean the HE pipes and add sealer  and still install aluminum sheet to build it up. I may have 2 of the older style crush rings which may be better than the mesh crap. I’m pretty sure the J pipes I had on the car and removed in 09 same empi stuff fit well into the header because I don’t recall any leaks then.   This is to say I think the reason I got the J pipes was because of the loose fit right side , it wasn’t because I didn’t want heat even though I don’t use it here. It may be the left side doesn’t leak is because I don’t recall chipping off the rust scale. Neither side is pitted at all , the rust seemed to be transfered from the old muffler. I had the heat the muffler tubes with a propane torch to get them off the HE . The clamps still fit the muffler pipes at the flange so they rusted from the inside , the muffler pipes were really thin inside reason I couldn’t use the old muffler.

 William

Sent from Mail for Windows 10