[T3] Oil Cooler Foam

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 28 21:59:34 PDT 2018

On 28 Jul 2018 at 16:32, Jeff C wrote:

> What is the purpose of the foam on top of the oil cooler?
>
> I suspect that it takes up the space between the top of the cooler and the
> upper tin to force air flow through the cooler.

You're right, that's what it's for.

> If that is the case, what materials are acceptable in that location.

Anything that's slightly compressible and will take the heat and oil
should be fine.

> Most of my foam is intact, just worn away at the edges.

As long as most of it is still intact, it should do the job.

> I spied a piece of thick wool felt about the same thickness in my
> workspace, and was wondering if there is a good reason not to use felt up
> there.
>
> Cushions and crushes to fit and is basically inert.

Sounds like your OE stuff is still okay, but the felt should work
too, as long as it doesn't put much force on the cooler when the tin
compresses it. Whatever you do, make sure it's glued securely in
place.

I have really good polyurethane foam that is better than the OE if
you're not sure about what you have.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org