[T3] Batteries.

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Thu Jul 5 13:32:59 PDT 2018

Thank you Jim for the explaination.

  I just want to bring up a few things.

1) I don't have the clock connected , it's the type that runs all the time
( does not have the click wind deal older clocks have) . I know you wrote
about a way to install a fuse to disable it if the car sits . Mine works yet
trying to set it to keep proper time is not worth it to me , I have it
close.

2) I checked for a parasitic draw and found 5 mA , isolated it between the
battery + red/white lead to the voltage reg B+ I removed the other red/white
to fuse box off reg B+  during test . It's not much of a drain and I can
only determin it's the Bosch electronic regulator called Bosch they have no
idea how it even works. Perhaps it's normal it does work I don't care.

3) I checked the battery the morning after the drive with the headlamps on
and it read 12.32 volts. I didn't check it before that drive and as I said
during that drive even @2500 engine rpm the voltage was a best was 12.2  at
idle it was below 12 volts . I felt since I had not checked of charged the
battey for at least 6 months of 3 to 4 starts during a 2 to 3 mile stop and
go traffic drive. The reason i saw such low voltage readings with the
heaplamps on is because the battery voltage was low to begin with . Once I
charged the battery and had 12.54 say 12.6 then with the lights on
everything was then working fine . You said "Once the engine is started, a
properly
> working charging system recharges the battery; after that, all the car's
> electrical components are running off the generator, except when the
> engine
> is at idle"
 That being said I had a low battery 12.32 Volt so the gen even though
charging was only charging .it may not have been able to carry the
componants and this would depend on actuall draw of all the light's and FI
system , I do realise the gen puts out 30 amp yet never checked to see , I
imagine 30 amp is dependant on rpm and load .I have an old analog Volt /amp
meter I could connect in series to see how many amps it puts out with
everything on as well as check how many amps the system draws eng off , This
may be me over thinking this which I do tend to do . This is sort of
ingrained in me from all the years working on customers cars , I always
wanted to be certain it was fixed right .

 I haven't worked on a car witha gen in decades other than mine . I replaced
the gen witha Bosch rebuilt in 2001 I have the one that came on this car and
had an extra from the 72 parts car for the core. Trouble is the rebuilt one
where the brush holders are riveted to the cover I can more both brush
holders a small amout they seem to make good contact , I didn't notice it
until I replaced the brushes, wanted to use the orig gen plate yet could not
get it off . The one on the car now has always had holders that move a bit
and it always worked I'd prefer to find a way to tighten them since to old
gen field wire insulation to the brushes is fallen away I don't trust it.

 To add this night time drive was also stop and go traffic and the VDO volt
meter was 1 volt to low so I adjusted it to read correct with my DVM engine
running at 2000 rpm and re-check it at idle all the time with the DVM
connected to battery also even though the headlamp on drive voltage was low
the gen light never came on and it does work.

 Yes I tnd to over think things yet I do not want to be standing on the side
of the road , not in this area.

 William