[T3] I've got another question , same one I asked a while back.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 22 12:30:36 PDT 2018

On 22 Jul 2018 at 12:40, Bobnotch wrote:

> The best, longest lasting repair for this is to weld flanges on both parts
> and bolt them together.

I agree that this really works, but how about the next time you need to
replace the muffler? How hard is it to get the length exactly right on the new
muffler? Clearly you need to weld the new muffler flanges on last, but the
muffler tubes have to be cut to the right length first. Keep in mind that the
next muffler will be different, because it's from a different manufacturer, or a
different production lot, or just because....

How hard is it to get that length right the second time around?

If the flanges fit around the OD of the muffler tube, that makes it easier, as
you then get some latitude for adjustment. Is that how they fit?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org