[T3] B brain

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jun 2 21:24:13 PDT 2018

On 2 Jun 2018 at 22:44, Jim Adney wrote:

> On 2 Jun 2018 at 13:36, Mark Reno wrote:
>
> > Cool. I do recall the voltage being low. The book says if terminal 18 on
> > the brain is not getting a ground than it should be replaced. What do you
> > think?
>
> Terminal 18 goes to the starter and is not a ground.
>
> You must mean terminal 19. Terminal 19 PROVIDES a ground for the fuel
> pump relay. If the pump relay is not closing for ~1 sec when you turn the key
> ON, there are a number of possible causes. A bad brain is only one
> possibility.
>
> What are your symptoms? Do you hear the relay under the dash click when
> you turn the key ON?

Here's a simple test you should do to see if a lot of the FI system
is working properly:

Turn the key ON. As the key comes on you should hear a relay click.
This is actually 2 relays, one under the back seat and one under the
dash, coming on at the same time. Since they come on at the same
time, you will hear what sounds like a single click.

About 1 second after you turn the key ON, you should hear a second
click. That's the relay under the dash turning off because nothing
happened after 1 second.

If you hear both clicks, you've checked a lot of the FI system. The
brain is getting power and ground, and the fuel pump relay is being
operated properly.

As a bonus, if you can hear the fuel pump buzz for that 1 second, you
also know that the fuel pump wiring is good and that the pump motor
is at least running. (This does NOT guarantee that it's actually
pumping.)

You may need a second person to listen for the pump with an ear near
the RF wheel.

Do this test and let us know what you hear.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org