[T3] B brain

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jun 2 21:38:16 PDT 2018

On 2 Jun 2018 at 21:22, Mark Reno wrote:

> I hear the relays click and I can feel the relay under the dash and the one
> behind the seat click. It wonTMt start. I have checked my timing multiple
> times, made sure I have spark, the pump runs, and have checked the grounds. I am
> at a loss and it hasnTMt run for a few months now. So ITMm super bummed about
> it.

Assuming you hear both relay clicks, ~1 second apart, and your pump
runs during that ~1 second, it's possible that your pump motor is
running but the pump isn't pumping.

There were 2 basic styles of pumps, early and late, and the
changeover happened sometime in '69. If your pump has 3 ports that
all stick out parallel, you have the late pump. I like the late pump
better, but it has a weakness that makes them fail after all these
years. I can rebuild these and make them work again, but you should
check to make sure it's not pumping.

To check, remove the screw from the gas test port between the #3 & 4
injectors. If the pump is working, gas should squirt out during that
1 second. You may have to turn the key ON and OFF several times to
get gas pumped all the way back. If you never get any gas, the pump
is the problem.

Be careful when you do this test; you don't want to start a fire. A
rag over the test port will help keep gas from spraying everywhere.

If your pump has 2 parallel ports and 1 at right angles, that's the
early pump. I can't usually fix the early pumps, but OTOH, they tend
to never need help.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org