[T3] 2018 Invasion

Marion McDonald mmmpwm at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 18 12:27:33 PDT 2018

Peg and I would like to thank everyone who attended the Invasion and for
making it such a great success.  We added many more Type 3 folks to our list
of friends.

Three of the more memorable moments include:

Randy Long designating himself as the "Cardboard Commando" by placing a
piece of cardboard from our stash under each T3 as they parked on our new
concrete.  I had been trying to convince Peg all week that these cars were
not going to drip oil, but she was hearing none of that.  Randy, I don't
think you realized what an important service you were providing which
prevented some marital strife.

Shortly after leaving the VW factory, I stopped for a moment by the road to
make sure that I had latched my rear deck lid.  Almost immediately six Type
3 folks stopped to see if I needed help.  Type 3 folks are a thoughtful and
helpful group of people, so this was not surprising.

Alex Pegado reluctantly pointed out (he said he does not like to point out
flaws in other people's cars) that my dealer installed bumper over riders
were installed upside down or as they say in Alabama, bottom side up. The
difference in appearance is so subtle that I or no one had noticed until
now.  Too think, I had been embarrassing myself for 47 years driving this
car around in this condition.  This little corrective chore went to the top
of my vehicle bucket list.  Thanks Alex!  This reminded me that the first
time Jim Adney saw my car at the Hershey Invasion he pointed out that the
dealer had reinstalled my FI brain incorrectly in the body and he
immediately installed it correctly.  You can get Type 3 personal attention
of this level at no place but a Type 3 Invasion.

I want to give a special thanks to Dennis and Angela Steifel who were a
tremendous help to Peg and me during both the planning and execution stages
of the Invasion.  Your assistance was much appreciated.

The sale of Invasion T-Shirts, donations for the silent auction, and Henry
Verrydt's generous contribution from the sale of Hot Wheels Type 3s (I hope
I have not left anyone out), generated $1,812.50 in funds for the local
charity, The Arc of Jackson County.  I will stop there one day this week and
present them with a check.  Thanks to everyone for your generosity.

We were sad to see everyone depart yesterday, but it sure was nice to sleep
in this morning.  Hope to see you in 2020.

Marion & Peg McDonald

Section, AL

71 FB