[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 93, Issue 32

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jun 30 19:21:51 PDT 2018

On 1 Jul 2018 at 6:58, Ross G Clarke wrote:

> Could the treaded hole be drilled out before the insert is fitted?

Sure, but then it's not much different from a washer. And remember, the pin
is maybe 12 mm dia, but the insert needs to be thin. And it has to go over a
hole that's oblong, not round.

Maybe I don't know what you mean by a nut-sert. I've used small things
called Pem Inserts that are internally threaded inserts meant to be pressed
into round holes in thin metal. The ones I've used were stainless steel,
meant to create small threaded holes, like #6-32, in soft, thin metal, where
there would not normally be enough meat to make strong threads. Does this
sound like the same thing?

See here:

https://catalog.pemnet.com/viewitems/pemsert--self-clinching-flush-fasteners
---type-f4/-clinching-flush-fasteners-type-f-metric-1

If these are the nutserts you're suggesting, I don't think there's a solution
here:

http://www.avdelusallc.com/products/nutsert.shtml

These just stick out both sides of the panel too far.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org