[T3] 2018 Invasion

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 18 18:40:47 PDT 2018

On 18 Jun 2018 at 14:27, Marion McDonald wrote:

> Peg and I would like to thank everyone who attended the Invasion and for
> making it such a great success.  We added many more Type 3 folks to our list
> of friends.

And we would all like to thank Peg & Marion for an astonishing
display of Southern Hospitality. We will always remember this
Invasion as one of the best and Peg & Marion as 2 of the best hosts
ever.

Great food, great location, great company. Everything was fine except
for the heat and humidity. I understand that Marion was in charge of
the temperature and Peg was expected to handle the humidity, all of
which just goes to show that nobody's perfect.  ;-)

As for the rest of you that I'd never met before, as well as those I
had, it was good to see meet you, or refresh the memories.

Then Keith wrote:

> Turns out the bracket holding the distributor was bent up about 1/8"
> above the engine case and the pawl became disengaged...   bent it back,
> nothing broken, got the dist back in, timed, and it didnt want to
> start, not even a pop,

I rebuild a LOT of distributors, and about half of them arrive with
the clamp still on them. Most of those need to be straightened. They
get bent by people who think it's a good idea to get them "good n'
tight", but it's important to tighten them just enough to keep the
distributor from turning. It's easy to distort them with a little
overtightening.

Test this by trying to twist your distributor by hand as you tighten
the clamp. You'll be surprised at how little torque on the nut this
takes.

In the process of doing the distributor rebuild, I also straighten
the clamp, if it comes with the distributor, by checking that it fits
a spare engine case properly. It takes a bit of extra time, but it's
worth the effort.

Glad to hear that John, Jill, & Chase made it home already. We spend
Sunday night in Nashville with a cousin I don't get to see often.
Tonight we're in Effingham, IL. Short drive home tomorrow, no trouble
driving so far, but thunderstorms predicted for tomorrow..

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org