[T3] "71 Distributor

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Mar 27 15:12:50 PDT 2018

Art, I seem to have created 2 replies to your message. Delete this one
unless it has info that the other one lacked.

On 27 Mar 2018 at 20:01, art sterrett wrote:

> Jim, I need a distributor for my 1971 FI Fastback.  The one currently in
> the vehicle is part #0231163008.

Is your '71 MT or AT? They take different distributors.

I doubt if new distributors for our cars have been available anywhere for
many decades. If you could find one, it would cost you $$$$$.

What you have is correct for a '70 MT. It should work pretty well for a '71 MT.
I regularly rebuild distributors and I can swap your incorrect one for a correct
one for $10 on top of my usual rebuilding fee, assuming I have a correct
core. If your '71 is AT, I might want to charge a bit more for the exchange
because that uses a one year only, much less common vacuum can.

Rebuilding is $50 plus any major parts that are unserviceable, like cap, rotor,
points (either kind), vacuum can, or breaker plate, plus return shipping. In
other words, rebuilding includes all labor, and needed shims and screws.
The most common replacement needed is the vacuum can, but you can
easily tell whether yours is good or not. ( If yours is correct, it will have 265
stamped on the actuating arm.) I've never had a distributor that I couldn't
rebuild for under $100

Your best option would be to tell me whether your fasty is AT or MT and let
me check my stash to see if I have a better option for you. Then you can
send me your 008 (AB) for exchange or rebuilding.

If you really want to just buy a rebuilt outright, I'd have to think about what
that would cost, and I'll have to check to see if I have one. (I just sold one,
for a '71 MT (AC), exchange, yesterday.)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org