[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 92, Issue 15

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu May 24 05:29:04 PDT 2018

On 23 May 2018 at 23:07, Keith Park wrote:

> My 71 has a sunroof, I havent had any problems with it and it doesnt leak,
> but dont park nose up in a heavy rain storm!  Car doesnt leak, thats
> important if you want it to last.

When I bought my sunroof '69, I quickly discovered that the sunroof drain
tubes were clogged. It took quite a bit of effort to get them cleared out, but
once that was done they've been fine. I suspect they are similar to the fresh
air box drains, in that it's easy for them to get various kinds of debris in them
over time, just from stuff that randomly falls in there. Overall, the fresh air
box drains have been a bigger problem, even though they are shorter and
larger diameter, simply because those louvers are large, stay open all the
time, and funnel leaves directly into the drain tubes.

In recent years, I've come up with magnetic covers for the airbox louvers, so
those can't collect dirt and leaves when the car sits outside.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org