[T3] I've got another question , same one I asked a while back.

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Tue Oct 9 21:19:44 PDT 2018

> On Aug 5, 2018, at 10:49 PM, Soren Jacobsen <snj at blef.org> wrote:
>
> On 07/23 00:51, Dave Hall wrote:
>>
>> Originally there's a large clamp and packing around the pipe to stop exhaust
>> leaks getting into the heating system, but mine had more-or-less
>> rusted away (parts 14 and 15 on
>> http://home.clara.net/hallvw/type3/T3pbo/T3pb2-12.htm .)
>
> Has anyone found a good substitute for the original seal/packing?
> I have a couple heater boxes that have been stripped of their sealing
> material (and a couple that I ruined in a foolish attempt to do a deep
> clean of everything).

I'd still like to find a nice substitute for those seals, but I recently managed to buy an NOS pair with clamps, and now that I look at them, I realize it's going to be even more difficult than I had initially thought.

These are the parts in question:

http://blef.org/vw/t3/heatexchangerseal.jpg
http://blef.org/vw/t3/heatexchangersealcloseup.jpg

In the close up, notice how the seal is a different thickness on each side.  3mm on one, 4mm on the other.  It'd be tough to replicate this.  Muffler putty for now, I guess...

Soren