[T3] I've got another question , same one I asked a while back.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Oct 10 06:41:03 PDT 2018

On 9 Oct 2018 at 21:19, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> These are the parts in question:
>
> http://blef.org/vw/t3/heatexchangerseal.jpg
> http://blef.org/vw/t3/heatexchangersealcloseup.jpg
>
> In the close up, notice how the seal is a different thickness on each
> side.  3mm on one, 4mm on the other.  It'd be tough to replicate this.
> Muffler putty for now, I guess...

That's interesting. I'd never noticed the change in thickness either. Most of
my HEs lack those parts, too, but I get around it by making sure the HE to
muffler joints are sealed. Muffler putty, as crude as it might seem, works
amazingly well, as long as the clamp on the joint is enough to keep the
joined parts from vibrating with respect to each other.

I just replaced the lower HEs on my '73, and I used lots of muffler putty on
the joint between the muffler and the HE pipes. I put it under the seal, but I
also packed it into the annular space between the pipe and the muffler tube.
That seemed like a good way to prevent motion between those parts.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org