[T3] Those Muffler nuts~!

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed Oct 10 18:54:00 PDT 2018

Im surprised that the Al pushrods can bend that much to hit the tubes
and not end up breaking or staying bent. I always thought those bands where
rubbing from tubes that were not on straight.

Keith

When taking apart stock engines, we often find brite wear rings on certain
parts of the pushrods. Those indicate that the engine has been run at higher

than normal RPMs. The wear is usually not enough to damage the pushrod,
as it's generally little more than enough to remove the oil deposits that
are
always there, but they are a nice tell-tale. If you find it on just one
pushrod, it
usually means that the pushrod tube is deformed and too close to the
pushrod at that point. But if those brite rings are there, they are usually
on all
8 pushrods and indicate high RPM running.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org