[T3] 65 Brakes

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Oct 19 15:15:28 PDT 2018

On 19 Oct 2018 at 9:28, Ray Gifford wrote:

> I have a 65 notch, and the front right side is leaking brake fluid.  I
> need to replace the brakes and wheel cylinders.

Wheel cylinders are easy to hone right on the car, and that's what I'd advise
if you're the least bit mechanically inclined. It's less difficult and less likely to
damage something else than removing them and replacing them.

If you really don't want to do them on the car, I can probably do them for you.
Like Soren said, if they can't be rebuilt NOS or sleeping (I think spell check
changed that from sleeving) are your only other options. If I can't rebuild
them, I have a place in MN that can sleeve them.

As for the shoes, if they are just brake fluid soaked, throw them in a bucket
of water. That will take off the fluid. Let them dry. If they are actually worn
out, the place that can sleeve cylinders for me can also reshoe your old
ones, or you can modify shoes to fit. I don't know which other shoes you
should start with.

> There have to be other solutions?  If I canTMt get shoes
> and do need to replace the front end, why not buy the adapter and put
> a type 1 front end on?

It would be a real shame to downgrade to a Type 1 front axle beam.  ;-p

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org