[T3] 71 Squareback MT/FI - Upper Torsion Arm Thrust Ring

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Sep 2 14:08:31 PDT 2018

On 2 Sep 2018 at 13:29, Wisconsin Spryers wrote:

> I'm in the process of replacing the old/leaking ball joints on the front
> suspension and, per Jim Adney's recommendation, I've removed the upper
> torsion bar to enlarge the set screw dimple on the left end of the torsion
> bar.

Keep in mind that you need a 90 deg dimple there. For that you need a
metric countersink. I have one if you're coming down to Madison within the
next week. After that, we're out of town for a month.

> While cleaning the dirt/grim away after removing the upper torsion
> arms, I noticed that the left side thrust ring is beyond the wear limit as
> described in Bentley. The right side thrust ring's wear grooves are still
> within spec. Questions:

> 1) Where can I find replacement thrust rings?

Hard or impossible to find. I might have a used one. Otherwise check with
ISP West.

> 2) What type of grease is recommended when lubricating the front axle?

I think VW recommended a #3 grease, but I like a moly loaded grease and
the only ones I've found are #2, which is a bit softer but seems to work okay.
The main thing to keep in mind is to lube the 4 zerks with SOMETHING at
least yearly.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org