[T3] '67 Sqbk Fuel Flow

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Sep 15 20:43:14 PDT 2018

On 15 Sep 2018 at 11:34, Jeff C wrote:

> Previous status - It would start but not sustain idle.
>
> Suspecting fuel issues, I bypassed the vehicle fuel system and put a line
> from the fuel pump inlet directly to a gas can on the ground.

That was a very good test. Now to find the clog:

With plenty of fuel in the tank, pull the hose off the carbs and
lower it to the ground.  If fuel gushes out, things are okay up to
that point. If not, work your way forward, one connection at a time.

Pull the hose from the fuel tube where it exits the pan next to the
nose of the tranny. See if that flows.

Pull the hose off the front end of the fuel tube.

Pull the hose off the tube coming out the bottom of the tank.

Once you've found the clog, work your way backwards, making sure that
each link in the chain is clear. Keep in mind that you may have more
than one clog.

If the clog is in the long tube in the pan, use a long stiff wire
flattened on one end, and an electric drill to clear the tube of gas
residue. You may have to work from both ends. Once you get it
slightly open, add SeaFoam or something similar to the gas and let it
flow thru to a can that you can pour back into the tank, or burn in
another car.

If the problem is in a hose, replace the hose. If the problem is
elsewhere, treat it appropriately.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org