[T3] Solex Dual Port Carb Gasket

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 18 19:59:28 PDT 2018

On 18 Sep 2018 at 18:44, Jeff C wrote:

> What kind of gaskets go between the spacer and the manifold and between the
> spacer and the carb?

I think the spacer originally came with thin paper glued to both
sides. You can reproduce this by gluing some printer paper to each
side. Hold it between 2 smooth flat surfaces while the glue drys and
then trim it with a razor once the glue has dried.

> I took them apart to check and tighten the manifold to head nuts looking
> for vacuum leaks, and all four of the paper gaskets I had installed were
> really wet. I found a set of thin metal  ones with a ridge.

The correct gasket for the head side of your dual port Solex manifold
is just a thin paper gasket.  The metal one sounds like the one sold
for dual port Beetles; don't use that one.

It's very important that all the metal sealing surfaces be clean and
flat before you try to tighten a gasket against them. You may need to
clean up the bottom surface of the carb to make sure it's flat. Check
for burrs and old bits of gaskets that keep the surfaces from
sealing.

I'm not sure what the wet gaskets means. Either something's leaking,
or you're running way too rich. I doubt if that's normal, since only
the inside edge should be exposed to the gas/air mixture.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org