[T3] VW 003 Transmission

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 18 19:59:28 PDT 2018

The first thing to remember about our AT trannys is that they have
all been extremely reliable. The second thing would be to ask if you
checked the ATF level, and did you know that it must be checked in N
with the engine running. If the ATF was low, that could explain the
harsh shifting.

Note that on your '71 there will be just one vacuum hose from the IAD
to the vac modulator on the AT. If there's a significant amount of
red ATF in that hose, your vacuum modulator is bad. Replacement VMs
have to be adjusted after installation; instructions are in the
Bentley manual.

That said, rebuilding an 003 AT is just about the only Type 3 job
I've never done. The Bentley instructions appear to be pretty
complete, but also complicated. I'm not saying that you shouldn't try
it, but you have to be really attentive to detail. If you decide to
go this direction (and that might be better than one of the
commercial rebuilders) I have rebuild gasket sets, ATF pan gaskets,
vacuum modulators, and replacement ATF filter screens.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org