[T3] Transmisison fun

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Sep 21 20:25:17 PDT 2018

I had the same questions that Tim had, but your picture cleared most
of that up. There seem to be 2 parts to this interesting failure:

First, the stud connecting your 2 shafts must be too short. I don't
think this can happen with the stock stud, but I'd have to check the
parts list to see how long it should be. It's also possible that
someone "cleaned up the threads" in the input shaft, enabling a stock
length stud to fall (almost) entirely inside it.

Second, there has to be clearance for the input shaft to slide into
the gland nut and pilot bearing far enough for the reverse gear to
disengage. The hole in the gland nut is clearly plenty deep for this,
but I'm surprised that the clutch disk spline didn't stop the motion
sooner. I guess the point is that it doesn't take much for the
reverse gear to disengage.

Really interesting observation.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org