[T3] Starting probs

Dennis Stiefel dad23boys at live.com
Sun Sep 23 16:39:39 PDT 2018

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 23, 2018, at 3:27 PM, J. Jonik <j_jonik at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Re: '71 Sqbk w/ '73 engine and trans...manual:   Car runs great when it's running...BUT starting up takes some cranking...maybe a few cranks at each of maybe three no-start ignition attempts.  But that's UNLESS I first just turn the key to run the fuel relay about 5 or 6 times...with usually the little high-pitched tone getting fainter and fainter as fuel pressure builds up (if that's what that sound indicates).
> Then, after may one, or even half a crank, the engine will start..BUT with a rough kind of sputter moment, like it's clearing its throat. No exhaust cloud or anything.   Then it runs fine, no stalling, idle just right, no oil light flicker, or etc.      That's about after car sits overnight.  If it's been driven recently, it takes less of the key turns or cranks.   AND...the car has whiff of gas...yet no dripping evident anywhere.  Is that our big clue to something specific?
>
> PS:  The No. 4 spark plug hasn't been cleaned or changed recently, like the others.  Reason is that I think it's in somewhat off its threads and I don't want to mess with it unless parked outside of a VW garage that can do an insert job....but there's no more shops around that'll do old

I said in a post a few weeks ago and I’ll say it again. Jim has a real good set up as far as his fuel pump priming kit goes. I got his $30 kit back during the invasion in June and installed it about a month or so ago.  It’s was easy to install. Took me about 30 minuets and I’m slow. Since then I’ve had to drive it a good bit because of some major front steering work to my middle son’s truck so he has been in my ram truck and I’ve been in Clementine a lot here lately for around town trips. It eliminates the problem you described and I only have to use it in the morning after it’s been setting up over night or longer. Another bonus is if you put the switch in the third position it totally cuts off power to the pump. One use I found for it was the other day I had a student who thought they would be cute and crank up up the instructors car and move it. Well I had put it on the off setting so he couldn’t crank it.  Kinda of foiled his joke. I’m sure that’s not what Jim had in mind when he added that feature in it but it worked for me.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
Rainsville AL