[T3] Starting probs

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Sep 23 18:01:18 PDT 2018

On 23 Sep 2018 at 23:39, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Another bonus is if you put the switch in the third position it totally
> cuts off power to the pump. One use I found for it was the other day I had a
> student who thought they would be cute and crank up up the instructors car and
> move it. Well I had put it on the off setting so he couldnTMt crank it.  Kinda
> of foiled his joke. ITMm sure thatTMs not what Jim had in mind when he added
> that feature in it but it worked for me.

I added that feature to cure a flooded engine condition. You just
turn the switch to the OFF position while cranking the engine and
only turn it ON once it clears out enough fuel that it starts to run.
Some of my Type 3s tend to flood a cylinder or 2 on startup, and this
makes it easy to clear those out.

BUT, I did realize that the OFF position would make the car a bit
harder to steal, and that may appeal to some people. That's not quite
what Dennis's students were trying to do, but it was close. Glad to
hear that it worked.  ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org