[T3] Fuel Primer Switch.....

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 22:33:52 PDT 2018

 Why doesn't turning on the key multiple times, not to point of ignition, prime the fuel system?  Car starts on almost first, and a half, try when doing that.   Then, what's wrong that it NEEDS special priming tricks, or primer switches?Is there an old, worn out, or dirty Primer Switch somewhere that ought be replaced, or cleaned?

Re: '71 Sqbk w/ '73 engine and trans...manual:  Car runs great when it's running...BUT starting up takes some cranking...maybe a few cranks at each of maybe three no-start ignition attempts. But that's UNLESS I first just turn the key to run the fuel relay about 5 or 6 times...with usually the little high-pitched tone getting fainter and fainter as fuel pressure builds up (if that's what that sound indicates).
Then, after may one, or even half a crank, the engine will start..BUT with a rough kind of sputter moment, like it's clearing its throat. No exhaust cloud or anything. ? Then it runs fine, no stalling, idle just right, no oil light flicker, or etc. That's about after car sits overnight.   If it's been driven recently, it takes less of the key turns or cranks.    AND...the car has whiff of gas...yet no dripping evident anywhere.    Is that our big clue to something specific?

PS: The No. 4 spark plug hasn't been cleaned or changed recently, like the others. Reason is that I think it's in somewhat off its threads and I don't want to mess with it unless parked outside of a VW garage that can do an insert job....but there's no more shops around that'll do old VWs.

Message: 2