[T3] Fuel Pump not Running

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Sep 5 14:42:42 PDT 2018

On 5 Sep 2018 at 17:19, matthew n stanfield wrote:

> Jim Adney wrote on 9/3/18 11:33 AM:

> > Does it draw current? (Was there a spark when you connected it to the
> > battery?) If so, I might be able to free it up for minimal cost if you send it
> > back to me. If not, it might need more expensive work to free it.

> I am pretty sure it does draw a current. I did not see a visible spark
> when making the connection, but i could hear it.

> > I'd be happy to take care of it when I get back.

> That would be great. Is there anything i can do in the meantime to try
> and free it up?

If it's drawing current, you should be able to see a small spark when you
make the connection. If it's installed in the car now, you can make that
connection under the dash.

IF it's drawing current but not spinning, you could try energizing it forwards
and backwards a few times, until it frees up and spins. If it's installed in the
car, the easiest way to do this would be to power it from a separate battery
or battery charger after disconnecting its wires under the dash.

Don't apply voltage for sustained time if it's not spinning. That would draw a
lot of current, heat things up, and eventually damage something.

You may need to replace the fuel filter and clean out the fuel strainer in the
bottom of the tank. They may be clogged with gas residue. It's essential that
the pump get a good supply from the tank. You can verify this by pulling the
supply line off the pump. You should let a scary amount of gas out in a
strong pencil-sized stream. If you get just a trickle, somethings limiting the
flow.

Once you get it to spin freely in the right direction, it should provide
pressure.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org