[T3] Fuel Primer Switch....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Sep 26 10:55:39 PDT 2018

On 25 Sep 2018 at 20:56, J. Jonik wrote:

> Car is a '71.  Did I say '73?   I'm pretty sure I have ignition
> switches from past cars ('72 and '73) in my collection...if
> necessary.  Whole steering columns, actually.  But, which ones are
> compatible with a '71?  I also have some pressure sensors.  Could a
> problem be with that?

The '71 ignition switch is a one year only part. Nothing else works,
unless you want to swap in the whole steering column from a '72 or 3,
which is a WHOLE lot of work.

Get the cheap primer switch, or make your own and quit agonizing over
this!

> And, there's still the smell of gas in the car...with no leaks
> visible. Would a bad spark plug...not igniting the gas spray from
> injector...cause that?

Look around the injectors while the engine is running but not yet
hot. If that's all dry, you probably have an exhaust leak at the
lower heat exchanger, that you might be able to fix with some muffler
putty.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org