[T3] Fuel Primer Switch.....

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu Sep 27 17:35:03 PDT 2018

And then there is the winter and summer blend here in NY, there IS a
difference in how it runs, im trying to get my base tuning done on the 2056
BEFORE the switch!

Yes, the pumps Jim rebuilt for me have bulletproof backflow valve, but the
Teflon wouldnt seal as well, at least not initially, the external valve
solved that problem entirely and also tended to make the fuel pressure more
steady.

Keith

I wonder if it has something to do with the check valve in the original fuel
pump. In the old days, you'd shut off the car, wait an hour and then
re-prime
the system so it would be ready in the morning. However, it seems this
doesn't
work anymore. Didn't Keith put in an external check valve on 1 of his cars?
Did
that work Keith?

Turning the key on-off multiple times does work, but it also induces wear on
the
switch (especially 1 year only switches like a 71 switch). Jim's solution is
good easy quick fix, that really does help limit wear on parts that are
becoming
obsolete. What people seem to keep forgetting is that the youngest of these
cars are 45 years old, and aren't getting any younger. The replacement parts
being made are not of the same build quality, and some just don't last.

An example of this could be the T-3 ignition switches used from 61 to 67
which
had a high failure rate (would literally fall apart), and they weren't asked
to do what
the 68 on switches did. In their case (61-67), it was a bad design. Quite a
few got
an aftermarket switch installed, because replacements weren't available.

Today's fuels are different from back then, or even 10 years ago. In the old
days,
gas used to be red, now it's either clear or has a yellow tinge to it. I'm
guessing
it's the additives that are in the fuel that don't make it burn like it used
to.
Bob