[T3] 2020 Type 3 Invasion!

bobsnotch at aol.com bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Apr 1 10:20:48 PDT 2019

On the trip out to Carthage in 2010, I vapor locked my 65 Notch at our first rest stop. Got to the end of the on ramp when both carbs were dry. Put in the spare mechanical pump, and reprimed the carbs and away we went. From that point on, I didn't shut it off unless it was going to be sitting for over an hour. Once we got to Carthage, in talking with Brian Fye, I picked up an electric fuel pump. I later plumbed it in, but it didn't fix the issue, because the mechanical pump was blocking the fuel flow. I found this out after we got back, when I took the car to my paint supplier and picked up some stuff from him (was in the store for about 20 minutes). Got a mile down the road and it vapor locked again. This time, I by passed the mechanical pump, and got home on the electric. I later redid some of the temporary plumbing, but left it all except the pump push rod in place. What I found was my all aluminum engine case was holding in the heat, causing the mechanical pump to vapor lock. When the pump would vapor lock, it sealed off any fuel flow thru it. By taking it out of the system, and going just electric, I eliminated that issue, and haven't had a vapor lock since. It might be something for you to look into.
Bob 65 Notch w/Sunroof.