[T3] I'm a bit confused as to why unplugging this IAD temp sensor clears things up.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Apr 3 15:47:23 PDT 2019

On 3 Apr 2019 at 15:29, William Jahn wrote:

>  Jim , in 2009 I removed the vacuum can and I could see the red rubber was
> torn around the metal center that connects it to the arm . I just have it
> there so the cans spring keeps the advance plate from moving

Using it as a placeholder is fine. You will never be able to see any difference
in driving performance on this car between a functioning and non-functioning
vac can. That's true of all the FI cars except for the '72s. On '72s things get
very bad if the retard is broken. Unfortunately, only the retard side of those
ever breaks.

Check yours with a small hose. If it's truly bad, I have NOS ones, not cheap,
but half the price of the online place I saw last night.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org