[T3] electric pumps cont'd

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Apr 3 06:31:10 PDT 2019

On 3 Apr 2019 at 0:02, David Yaghoubian wrote:

> Regarding the placement and wiring, I am going to shoot for the spot where
> the original FI pump was mounted, and as I remember when I swapped the FI
> for carbs (1986) I just tucked the wires back and taped them, so assuming
> they are still there and usable that seems like an obvious/good solution,
> no? If not I think I will go with the "kill switch" option and keep it
> simple.

Mounting an electric pump under the gas tank is the right placement. That
way, gravity will make sure the pump is always primed and you'll never have
to worry about vapor lock again.

OTOH, I strongly urge you to include an impact switch in the pump power
circuit. Otherwise, if you're caught in an accident, you're depending on being
still conscious and thoughtful enough to turn the key off and stop the pump.
Stopping the pump after an accident can make the difference between a bad
accident and a fatal one.

I've been told that you can buy an inexpensive impact switch at your flaps.
Wire it in series with the power to the pump, and mount it up high out of sight
on the "firewall", in the center of the car. Mounted there, it will be easy to the
reset if you need to, after an accident. The wires that went to your old FI
pump will do fine, but you'll need to change the wiring to them a bit since
they used to be controlled by the FI brain.

Don't assume that whoever happens to be driving your car that day will
know, or be able, to turn the key off after an accident. A friend of mine died
in an accident that turned into a fire. That was quite a few years ago, but the
memory persists.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org