[T3] 71 Squareback MT/FI - Broken Leaf Spring for Rear Brake Shoe Adjusting Star

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Apr 20 10:40:00 PDT 2019

Richard,

Good to hear from you. I fought off the urge to email you a few days ago, just
to see how your car is coming along. How's everything else going?

I broke one of those springs when I was new at this, quite a few decades
ago. I just left it without the spring (on one side) and it seemed to work just
fine for quite a few years. The springs purpose is to keep the star wheel from
turning and losing adjustment, but they don't seem to have a problem with
that even when goobered with anti-seize.

The problem with those springs is that they are completely out of sight, so
it's easy to grab a frozen star wheel with channelocks, to twist it off, and twist
off the spring instead.

I've never replaced one of those springs, so I don't have any advice on the
best way to do it. I think it's held with a kind of rivet, but I'm not sure. I'm sure
it's not welded.

I probably have a good used backing plate for $25 if you want to go that
route.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org