[T3] Diagnosis help for a badly running 1971 VW 411

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Sun Aug 11 16:48:35 PDT 2019

It is common for sellers to have rose colored glasses about how it used to run, so pretty much ignore that and “listen” to the car instead!

Ok, so it’s D-Jet like the Type 3s, so maybe we can help.
1) How is the ignition timing?  This also affects timing if the injection, so it’s more critical than on other cars.
2) Does the ignition advance unit hold vacuum?
4) Does the MPS (FI vacuum sensor) hold vacuum?
5) How do the injector tip seals (black doughnuts) look?  Any chance of leaks?  Because these are after the plenum (where the MPS gets its vacuum  riding), these are one of the few air leaks that make it run lean, not rich.
5) Of course, check all hoses for leaks, and check for any loose or disconnected wires.

With these out of the way, things get harder. Backfiring, sluggishness, and the need to pump the pedal are often indicators it is running lean.  Maybe spray starter fluid at the injector seals and see if anything changes.  No spray near the generator/alternator, though! If it speeds up or smooths out, you need new injector seals.
Type 4 motors, while D-Jet, have a very different  crankcase breather setup.  I am not up to speed, but I understand they are more of a true PCV system, not just an accumulator for oil vapors.  Leaks can definitely affect mixture.  Check Samba threads for hose routing, and any internal parts that might need cleaning or be missing.

That’s my first cut at it.  Good luck!
-Phil