[T3] Diagnosis help for a badly running 1971 VW 411

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 12 15:10:01 PDT 2019

On 11 Aug 2019 at 23:17, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> > On 11. Aug 2019, at 22:46 , Jim Adney <jadney at VWType3.org> wrote:

> > Did Type 4s ever get the pressure sensor with diaphram?
>
> Yes they did, the D-Jetronic was used after 1969 on all fuel injected
> engines. Only the 1974 model for certain markets like California had
> the AFC L-Jetronic.

But did any of the Type 4 D-jet cars come with pressure sensors that had the
diaphram, like our '70 and '71 Type 3s? I thought I heard someone on the
samba say that Type 4s never got that; that they managed to skip that step.

I believe all our US models came with FI. Up until a few years ago, I thought
they were D-jetronic up thru '73 and then ALL '74s were L-jetronic. Then I
had a customer show up with a D-jet '74.

Checking the microfilm, I found that VW made about 1300 D-jet cars in early
'74. That's 1300 for worldwide distribution! No wonder no one ever heard of
them.

It's quite possible that none of the D-jet '74s went to California.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org