[T3] Diagnosis help for a badly running 1971 VW 411

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 13 12:45:56 PDT 2019

On 13 Aug 2019 at 20:02, Dave Hall wrote:

> Type 2s got a Type 4 engine option from '72 in some markets, I believe.

Yes, at least in the US, all our '72-3 Type 2s came with dual carb Type 4
engines. In '74 they became FI. We didn't get a choice of engines in our
Type 2s in the US, but I was surprised to meet a German who had
something like a '77 with a 1600 engine. It may have even been a single
port. I think he said they could even still buy the 1200 back then, but I'm not
sure about that.

> The same happened with Type3 dual carb engines in around 1965, which Jim
> noted a few months ago, when he found lots more engines made than Type 3
> cars

I don't know what else VW could have put Type 3 engines into. They may
have been replacements, or maybe this was just another case of VW
rounding up the end of year production numbers. It's always suspicious
when the last one made ends in 250,000 or 500,000, especially when they
also report something like 63,721 made up to 12/31 in the first half of the
model year.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org