[T3] Diagnosis help for a badly running 1971 VW 411

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Aug 14 08:17:46 PDT 2019

On 13 Aug 2019 at 20:02, Dave Hall wrote:

> Type 2s got a Type 4 engine option from '72 in some markets, I believe.
> The same happened with Type3 dual carb engines in around 1965, which Jim
> noted a few months ago, when he found lots more engines made than Type 3
> cars

My memory is clearly going, but I don't remember doing this before. So I did
it today. It's impossible to look at VWs published numbers and make any
real sense out of them. Here's what I find:

'61-2:
66,739 cars
65,745 engines
994 more cars than engines!

'63:
155,234 cars
189,593 engines
34,354 more engines than cars

'64
261,617 cars
377990 engines
116,373 more engines than cars

'65, first half year, because year end numbers have been rounded up:
105,296 cars
182,950 engines
77,654 more engines than cars

'66, first half, as above:
140,226 cars
146,399 engines
6,173 more engines than cars

'67, first half, as above:
134,254 cars
456,908 engines
322,654 more engines than cars!

'68, first half, as above:
103,144 cars
115,307 engines
12,163 more engines than cars

'69, first half, as above:
111,451 cars
115,138 engines
3,678 more engines than cars

'70
Well, I gave up here. It just gets to be too much work to deal with all the
sums and differences, and for little benefit.

I suspect that some of the car overruns can be explained by the fact that the
car production numbers do not include Type 34s, but some of those engines
went into Ghias. Others may, as Dave says, have gone into Type 2s, but that
seems odd to me. Clearly some were destined to be supplied as
replacement spares.

Two questions stand out:

1) How did VW manage to produce almost 1000 more cars than engines in
their first run in '61-2? Did they produce a bunch of prototypes that never got
engines? That doesn't seem right, since I believe we have seen very early
cars with VINs well below 1000.

2) What happened in '67, when VW made more than 3x the engines than
cars? Did these all go into Type 2s and become industrial engines? If so,
why not '66 and '68?

I have all the Type 3 production numbers in electronic form if anyone wants
a copy. Email me privately if you want one, or see the version at
www.vwtype3.org.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org