[T3] Diagnosis help for a badly running 1971 VW 411

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Aug 14 08:17:46 PDT 2019

On 13 Aug 2019 at 17:09, Keith Park wrote:

> some T4's got the fuel cutoff, the 2L porshe did not however and my 2056
> doesnt have that.  Stinks like a skunk on deceleration.

If you're responding to my question about the 5th pin on the TPS, that pin is
for full load enhancement. All our Type 3 TPSs have an idle pin for shutoff
on overrun, but I know it wasn't connected to the brain in all markets.

Do you know which years of Type 4 D-jet engines came with a 5 pin TPS?

Decades ago, I worked on a '72 Type 3 that had been brought back to the
US from England. While working on it, I discovered that there seemed to be
no functioning idle contact. I eventually discovered that the 5th wire to the
TPS was folded back under the boot. I installed it in the connector and was
then able to adjust the TPS correctly. It wasn't until a number of years later
that I found a note in the Bosch literature that said.

*Not installed in all markets.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org