[T3] Diagnosis help for a badly running 1971 VW 411

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Aug 14 08:17:45 PDT 2019

On 13 Aug 2019 at 21:18, Dave Hall wrote:

> The Type 3 dual carb engine overproduction has definitely been confirmed
> as being used mainly in the Type 2.  It was also used as an industrial
> engine.

I can definitely see this as an industrial engine, but I have trouble seeing
how to fit one in a bus. I'm giving away my ignorance about buses, but it
seems like getting the cooling air to the engine would require a complete
redesign of the rear of the bus. Maybe VW did this redesign for '72, when we
know they managed to stuff the Type 4 engine in there.

Which brings up the question: What did VW have to do to the bus body to
get cooling air into the Type 4 engine? Did they have to lengthen the body or
just shorten that shelf behind the engine? Did they make airducts in the body
or just seal the engine, top from bottom, and let the engine suck from the air
above?

Whatever they did, this would have been a different engine than what was
produced for Type 3s. I'd expect it to get a different engine prefix. Same for
industrial engines.

I guess I don't know how they did this for Type 1 industrial engines.

BTW, when my daughter was young, she figure skated, and one day when
we were at the local ice rink, I managed to talk to the Zamboni driver after he
refinished the ice. Turns out that this was an OLD Zamboni, and the engine
in it was a VW Type 1 engine. The Zamboni at the rink on the other side of
town was newer and had a Rabbit engine. Small World.  ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org