[T3] '73 Idle Test

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 17:29:38 PDT 2019

Thank you Jim.

 I have the proper intake gaskets I bought a set from you in May had the
proper ones before as well with the plastic spacer thin paper gaskets.

 I changed all the vacuum lines and runner short hoses lined up the runners
to the IAD  so they fit perfect . Changed the spark plugs. I also knew the
electric AAR was not closing so I took it all apart and cleaned out the
surface rust in the rotating valves bore and adjusted the spring so it
would close sooner and lightly lubed the valve now it closes. It also
appears with the air flow through the AAR prevents the AAR from heating up
fast enough. Test was apply 12 volts and time it off car yet on a steel
vice to simulate the heat draw from the case. 7 minutes it's closed @ 80F
on the car air flow it can take 20 minutes.

 All I know is this.
1)  start the car starts right up yet the idle is 850 RPM after 2 minutes
the idle rises to 1200 RPM . This 2 minute time frame. If I start the car
and have the intake temp sensor plugged in I didn't check the RPM yet it
runs fine once the 2 minutes pass the idle drops 200 RPM and the erratic
miss fire begins , unplug air temp and the idle comes back up the 200 RPM
and the miss ends in a split second.

2) I imagine the 1200 RPM idle has to advance the timing a bit haven't
checked yet might compound the problem.

3) I checked the resistance of TS1 air temp from all the charts I have
found all agree that TS1 is in spec. I drove the car a few days ago I knew
@ 85* F TS2 head temp always reads above 2400 ohm on that short drive I
noticed it didn't idle as smooth. The very next day I checked TS2 again
same temp 85* F read 800 ohms lower . I know TS2 drops from 2272 ohm @85*F
to 77.5 ohm in 2 minutes don't know what the actual head temp is.
4) It seems this TS2 in my car has an issue , it is tight and it does read
the same ohm on the head and case and sensor case. The ohm meter reads
correct .
 It seems to run rich at startup and I can feel it and may be why the RPM
is low until it drops resistance no idea why the 1200 RPM. From all the
charts and graphs TS2 @ 85*F should be closer to 1600 Ohm and be consistent
I did get a replacement since Bosch now longer offers these Uro parts 311
906 041A. I have not installed it yet it does read the proper ohm @ temp. I
have no idea if this will change a thing I can't imagine how unless it does
not bottom out so fast. I know people ballast these I have had no luck
doing so at least with the old ones which are 0 280 130 003 I have a 012
and it read over 3k ohm @85F.

 I never had this issue before , none of it. And still have no solution.
All the work changing lines and vacuum hose , gaskets injector seals didn't
change a thing. All cylinders drop the same RPM hot and cold pulling plug
wires or injector plugs. Can't find one issue with the engine wiring , have
the proper ECU, MPS and TPS the TPS is adjusted proper and all aspects
works without fail. I can adjust the idle below spec to almost stall out.
Even sealed the metal IAD cover with a new gasket.

 All I have not done is clean the PCV and replace the hoses from oil bath
to heads.

William