[T3] '73 Idle Test

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 10:26:10 PDT 2019

 Jim :

 I am just going by the Brown Bentley for wiring. So far it's been right as
far as the wiring diagram and FI wiring go. Other than for an auto trans
such as mine they have the added page since the starter goes through the
switch in the shifter base as well as the back up lights.

 I don't have the cold start valve thermal switch or it's bracket on the
car at all , I never needed it. From the way it's wired stock all the
thermal/temp switch does is complete the ground the cold start valve or
rather complete the circuit so once the temp switch reaches it's set point
and the CSV is connected one side of the CSV has voltage only when the
starter is engaged and the temp switch at a low temp supplies the ground
since it's one wire on the temp switch and the temp switch through it's
mounting bracket is to engine case ground . I think all I really need to
check is the wire at the CSV two wire connector  that has voltage with the
starter engaged, It gets this voltage . I going off the Bentley page 19
fuel injection section. #12 thermo switch #13 CSV page 18 shows it better
power to CSV comes from #50 starter energized starter engaged only and also
from#50 to #18 on ECU . the other wires you mentioned are in double wire
connector #20 which begin at the power relay #9 the power is off term #87
power supplied off battery positive #30/51. The two wires off #87 then sent
voltage to the ECU #16 and #24 so these could have high resistance causing
low voltage on either #16 or #24 or both at the ECU similar affect to
having low system voltage. I want to see if the power relay has any voltage
drop between 30/51 and 87 since this is where all the ECU power begins. If
I see a voltage drop there the power relay contacts have high resistance
and either I need to remove the cover and check and possibly clean the
contacts as one would do with voltage regulator. Then move on to connector
#20 and check both wire #16 and #24 to see if there is high resistance in
either one or both which will lower the ECU voltage. Any one of these could
be what's causing the issue I have which is what you pointed out one post
back. I'm hoping this is where the issue is and could be I never looked at
connector #20 and after over 40 years the 1/4" terminals inside this now
black plastic once clear connector/insulator may not have broken wire
strands yet the brass terminals inside exposed to the weather might be in
real sorry shape and have high resistance.

 Jim Let me know what you think .

William