[T3] '73 Idle Test

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Aug 30 05:22:59 PDT 2019

On 29 Aug 2019 at 16:23, William Jahn wrote:

> All I could find was the power relay which #30 and #47 disconnected
> and an ohm meter across them it had 42 ohms resistance and was
> consistent.

Would that be #30 and #87? And I don't know how you measure this
resistance because those contacts are open unless the engine is running, or
trying to run.

The way to do this test would be to measure the voltage drop between #30
and #87 with the engine running. Anything over a few 10s of millivolts would
be a problem.

At any rate, 47 Ohms is HUGE.

> Not having another I removed the metal cover and as one would clean
> trigger points dragging paper through the contacts it's now .02 ohm.

Which sounds great.

> Put the cover back on just bending the 6 peens back .

Just what I would have done. BTW, I have good used relays if you want a
spare.

> Also the ground wire when I had the relay upside down kept coming off
> the female spade was split 1/3 of the way opposite the rolled edges
> near the end . It never cut out on me so this was not the issue yet I
> had another factory female with wire in good shape and replaced it.
> also placed a star washer between the relay hold down and the metal
> wall.

Sounds good, except that I would have put the star washer under the screw
head, followed by the ground lug and then the mounting tab.

Now you just need to see if this made any difference in how the engine runs.
If I understood your description correctly, this should have made a big
difference.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org