[T3] '73 Idle Test

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 12:59:34 PDT 2019

Without doing anything else I drove it today hotter than blazes . Before I
repaired the power relay I had a consistent idle 1000 in park and 850 in
drive . Today is no cooler than yesterday and it still had 1000 @ idle yet
in drive I would see 550 to 750 to 800. why this changed no idea. Unless
the power relay had the affect. I have to say I'm lost . I had TS1
disconnected as usual. I always thought because I've done voltage drops
before if I connected the voltmeter to batt poss and then probed the relay
connected so it has current flow I would read batt voltage at both #30 &
#87 I did this without the engine runner just key on and #30 read 0 mA
telling me the wire was good no drop yet #87 read 2 volts less less than
battery voltage which would the the resistance in the relay contacts. .
Maybe I've just become rusty or have memory loss. I was certain in order to
read voltage drop neg or poss there must be a load and thus current flow .
You are after all looking for resistance in a wire ,switch or circuit .
With an ohm meter you inject the meters battery voltage into the circuit so
it will not work on heavy leads will work on contacts reason I looked for
resistance in the contacts. Just to double check what might be the issue.