[T3] radio

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Dec 30 08:09:13 PST 2019

On 29 Dec 2019 at 16:59, greg knight wrote:

> Working on getting the final touches on my 70 fastback so I can apply
> for collector plates.  My car never came with a radio installed that I can
> tell.  Does anyone know if a  radio and speaker are an aftermarket feature
> of this year?

Factory installed radios didn't exist for any year of aircooled VWs. They were
all dealer installed or later. VWoA owned the brand name "Sapphire" which
were made under contract by Bendix or Motorola, so that's what most US
dealers installed, but there were more expensive options, of which Blaupunkt
was the largest competitor.

Each radio installation required a bare radio plus an installation kit, that was
specific to the make, model, and year, and an antenna. So the total
installation required the purchase of the radio, installation kit, antenna, and
labor. Due to the change in the shape of the type 3 dash in 1971, '71-73
Type 3s required a different installation kit (Einbausatz, in German, for the
Blaupunkts.)

The installation kit included the knobs, speaker, mounting brackets, and all
necessary hardware

Blaupunkt also sold a noise supression kit, to lessen radio noise from the
ignition and generator, but I've never seen one of those. Installation
instructions, with photographs, are shown in the Einbausatz instructions.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org