[T3] Heater cable connectors ?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Dec 30 08:09:14 PST 2019

On 28 Dec 2019 at 18:58, William Jahn wrote:

> I  replaced my front heater cables from the heat/defrost lever . I wanted
> to know if the connectors that you connect the cables together like the
> ones used for the rear foot wells they hold the two cable ends together
> and also are an adjustment of the cable length are still available .
>
>  Mine seem fine yet I didn't know they were plastic. In case I need them
>  is there something like these that can be used?

I believe those cable connectors are just electrical splices which VW
repurposed for their heater cables. I've never seen one that needed to be
replaced, but I must have a few from parted out older cars. They are plastic
on the outside, but metal within. They should last forever unless they are
abused.

The little folded-over section at the end of the wires is not important, and
actually makes installation a bit more difficult. I cut mine off so I could slip a
length of Teflon tubing over that part of the wire that slides inside the metal
tube. That made those slide much easier. Being down on the floor makes
them prone to rust and sticking.

I would adjust the cables so that everything is off when the lever is fully
forward. No other adjustment should be necessary, and the lever will stop
short of it's upward limit when the cables run out of travel. If you find that
"fully ON" does not open both cables equally, you could experiment with
moving the lever ends of one of the cables to a different hole in the lever.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org