[T3] Standard transmissions

Dennis Stiefel dad23boys at live.com
Mon Feb 18 19:23:21 PST 2019

> While I prefer the VW MTs, my experience with the AT Type 3s has been
> uniformly excellent. Russ also mentions that they had been quite
> reliable.
>
> The modern DSG (Dual Shift Gearbox) is a completely different animal.
> It consists of 2 constant mesh gearboxes with intermeshing ratios,
> each with its own clutch. The shifting and clutches are hydraulically
> operated and the hydraulics are electronically controlled. Shifts are
> preselected, then one clutch is disengaged while the other is engaged,
> making the shifts almost unnoticable, unless you're watching the
> tachometer. There is no torque converter.
>
> I believe the current VW DSGs are all 6 speeds, but I've seen that up
> to 11 speed boxes have been developed. I suspect this is seen as an
> alternative to CVT transmissions.
>
>    -

>    Jim Adney
>
>    Madison, Wisconsin, USA

The VW plant in Chattanooga TN donated us a DSG trans but I’ve got to get the proper tools and information on so I can give my students the right information on it then disassemble and reassemble.  Would be interesting to see what it looks like on the inside.  I generally prefer MTs on VW too but I do miss the 69 Fastback with automatic I use to have.

Dennis Stiefel
Rainsville, AL